Vivvo CMS Support Forum Home | Free Trial | Online Demo | Docs and Manuals | Order Now   

Go Back   Vivvo CMS Support Forums > General > Chit-Chat

Chit-Chat General discussion forum.

Unread 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
zontech
Senior Vivvo User

zontech is on a distinguished road
Default Classifieds would be nice but . .

. . .unless it's very basic the Vivvo guys will be VERY used up 24/7/365.
There's a lot in it - have a look the web - the scripts are either dead basic (Almond), really tacky looking, or have Wall Street pricing.

So we opted for a WP sub install using ClassiPress http://wpclassipress.com - styling can be almost identical to Vivvo and functionality is superb.
Ver 3.0.2. is trouble free, only issue is that so far, free ads can't be revived by the poster.

Anyway, my vote for plugin: An EVENTS CALENDAR that works - has many useful applications for business and consumer sites - can provide real value to your audience and engage them with your site.

Last edited by zontech; 05-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
zontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Impaler
Vivvo Veteran

Impaler is on a distinguished road

you mean free ads cannot be edited by unregistered user? what if registrations are forced?
Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #13
bahamamark

Default Not necessarily plugins...

1. THEMES
I think the big thing missing for Vivvo are realy good themes. All the Vivvo themes except for the new 4.5 one and the new Vivvo company theme look like 2005 themes in style. The new theme for 4.5 is OK. I think the new Vivvo company theme you used to announce Vivvos features is the best so far -- especially the menus.

I like the Rocket Themes the best -- if you could get those guys to workwith Vivvo themes -- or work with them to convert one of their themes every month to Vivvo -- and let them sell it -- you might have seomthing going on there. http://www.rockettheme.com

2. CUSTOM FIELDS FROM BACK-END ADMIN
Add a field to any type of article, etc. Drupal and now Wordpress 3.0 has this built in now, and Joomla has it kind of as a plugin. This allows us to create our own content types.

3. SPAM KILLER FOR COMMENTS & REGISTRATIONS
Similar to WordPress.com which uses Akismet. It blocks spammers from leaving comments on your blog.

4. STORE
For a store I would recommend integration with MAGENTO as opposed to a plugin. The trick is can Vivvo integrate magento and a forum at the same time. In other words a single login for Vivvo users and magento. There would then be another widget which can display RSS from magento into a vivvo theme -- say of top 5 items for sale.

5. LINKS/DIRECTORY/CLASSIFIEDS plugin
This could be a classifieds, show real estate, etc. However, if you had a CUSTOM FIELDS plugin, a user could set this up themselves via the plugin as long as there was an option for the fields to be searchable.

6. STOCK MARKET WIDGET
Quick and dirty.

7. FLICKr WIDGET
Quick and dirty

8. BEEF UP ALL THE PLUGINS YOU HAVE NOW
Make the weather plugin more diverse with better graphics and options. Make the POLL plugin have better features for display, %'s etc.

9. A REALLY DECENT ROTATING CONTENT WIDGET with all the bells and whistles
See http://www.vivvo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7605

Last edited by bahamamark; 05-05-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Unread 05-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
zontech
Senior Vivvo User

Default Re: ClassiPress:

With current version, anyone with access can place a free ad.

But it will expire according to the admin dashboard setting (example 14 days) and once expired can't be renewed with a couple clicks, as you can with some online auction/classified sites.

This has an upside - and this is on a site where items are typically $200 and up: Posters are less likely to relist $5 junk items because they have to re-enter the whole ad.

Quote:
what if registrations are forced?
Not clear what you mean by this

Last edited by zontech; 05-05-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
akash210
Senior Vivvo User

akash210 is on a distinguished road

I needed a classifieds system where users didn't have to register to post ads. Was pretty much appalled to see that none of the scripts on the market offered that option. So I customised one. And it totally fits in with my site. Here: http://www.lematinal.com/marketplace.html
akash210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Alex

Alex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontech View Post
Anyway, my vote for plugin: An EVENTS CALENDAR that works - has many useful applications for business and consumer sites - can provide real value to your audience and engage them with your site.
My vote goes to this as well :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamamark View Post
3. SPAM KILLER FOR COMMENTS & REGISTRATIONS
Similar to WordPress.com which uses Akismet. It blocks spammers from leaving comments on your blog.
Good one. We plan on having comment plugin that utilizes Akismet service for a while, hopefully we'll do it someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamamark View Post
6. STOCK MARKET WIDGET
Quick and dirty.

7. FLICKr WIDGET
Quick and dirty
Why would you need us for this? Btw, you have Flickr widget already:
http://www.vivvo.net/resources/dload...r-gallery.html
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Micha
Administrator

Micha will become famous soon enough

@ bahamamark regarding themes

A good point here, however, gotta say few things

First of all, majority of Vivvo themes, including the new one, are made to be supported by all major browsers, hell, if you look at new 4.5 theme, it still looks decent even in IE6

Second, the themes from rockettheme.com, oh well, I guess they look ok, however, let's just make quick compare between Vivvo and rocket themes.

If you look at new 4.5 theme, and even 4.1 theme, in firebug, fully loaded, home page weights approximately 280kb, while at rocket themes, due to use of big graphic images, both for boxes and backgrounds, I couldn't find any under 500kb (I simply looked ad 10 random themes).

Now, take this in consideration - Vivvo users + their servers (some good, some ok, some pretty bad), imagine how bad would theme that weight let's say 700kb (but looks bitchin') load.

I'm not saying that Vivvo themes are state of the art design, they are far from that, but for the price, well, IMO, they are decent

Djole, Djole, bas si bezobrazan sto si se pravio da si mali zekan. Zato cu te dobro kazniti...
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #18
zontech
Senior Vivvo User

Default Le Matinal site

@akash,

Wow - very impressive stuff, man. And fast, to boot.

NB: With ClassiPress classifieds anyone can post ads without registering or waiting for approval, depending on the WP settings.
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
akash210
Senior Vivvo User

akash210 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontech View Post
@akash,

Wow - very impressive stuff, man. And fast, to boot.

NB: With ClassiPress classifieds anyone can post ads without registering or waiting for approval, depending on the WP settings.
Thanks mate.

Installing Wordpress to run a simple classifieds system wasn't an attractive option for me.

Cheers.

Akash
akash210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
chris.hoyos@insiteinc.com

Default RE: Directory Listing

Anyone know of a decent 'directory listing' i can customise to list companies?