PDA

View Full Version : Are you using built-in Template Editor?

Alex
06-26-2008, 05:13 AM
We'd like as much of you as possible to vote on this poll, it's pretty important to us. This one deals with the way you actually work on your template files - both in terms of small, quick mods and major overhaul of look and feel of your site.

So, do you use built-in Template editor to manage your .tpl and .css files, or you edit them via preferred offline program/editor, such as Dreamweaver, FrontPage, HomeSite, Notepad++, Quanta or similar.

Also, any comments and feedback on current template editor are more than welcome.

northlandadv
06-26-2008, 06:13 AM
It's not such a good interface, and could use some improvement. Being able to resize the window would be something great; I often find it much too small. It seems to have several quirks which seem to get in the way. I generally edit files directly in a text editor and then paste into the template manager.

Another thing is the way it switches back to the CSS tab and resets everything after every save; quite a pain. It would be very nice to end up in the same template, or at least the same tab after saving.

Rngr223
06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I use it, but I have experienced a few issues with the system.

apocan
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Not really, I prefer using desktop software and uploading tpl/css files via FTP.

for me this one because its hard to edit in admin panel

boccio
06-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I use it, but I have experienced a few issues with the system.
Can you elaborate a little bit more?

kovacs
06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I never use the built-in editor, it is too weak. It also reports problems with file access even if the folders are chmodded to 777...so it's unreliable.

Instead I do all the template/CSS editing with Coda on my Mac. Works like a charm.

utvara
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Please vote "NO", I want to remove it from the system and make it a plugin :D

northlandadv
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
That's a good idea Utavara. That way it can be more extensible, and even have a feature set which is set up in the plug in. I'm with you on that one. From what I've learned so far (already doing a lot of custom mods from clients) they don't understand Vivvo enough to be messing with the templates anyway. When they don't want to pay for the mod install, I write them instructions for FTP upload. I wouldn't even consider making them try to figure out the template manager.

Also, what would be REAL nice is if template editing were robust, yet somewhat separated from the admin interface. What I mean by this is a system which did not fall under the coding of the admin interfact; maybe a separate window with it's own rules, etc, and not for the meek. From my experience, template editing is not something for the uninitiated anyway so making it more robust, and separated a bit, would not be a bad thing.

northlandadv
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Something to consider are the lengths ArticleLive buries the actual templates. There are layers of easy stuff over the actual template access which is an excellent idea. Once you get to the templates, it's very easy to navigate them and the editor works like any good code editor would.

The basic idea here is to keep the easy stuff on top, and bury the hard stuff. For example, having "templates" in the main nav just encourages wrecking them. Templates are also not a main nav item since they are not daily use (presumably). This should be under prefs, or as a plug in and separated from the main site controls.

Capri
06-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I totally agree with "northlandadv" on the built-in template editor's issues, though I don't think it should be a plug-in, but rather a more reliable and flexible part of Vivvo itself.

While most of us copy/paste the code into an external editor and then copy/paste it back into the built-in editor, this process is quite cumbersome, and the built-in editor keeps messing up the layout (line numbers and places) of the code!

boccio
06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Once you get to the templates, it's very easy to navigate them and the editor works like any good code editor would.

Actually, ArticleLive uses the same code editor as Vivvo does - Codepress (http://codepress.org/). So I guess it all goes down to usability and fixing a couple of quirks here and there. And of course, burying it very, very deep :D

TheLastMen
06-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I use notepad++, i never use built-in template editor

northlandadv
06-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Well that's good to hear Boccio, at least it's already there. What I prefer about article live is the left hand menu which stays contstant (does not update) and the full width of the editing window. Seems to make a big difference.

quick2004
06-30-2008, 12:35 AM
prefer using desktop

v!vv0
07-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi

Since vivvo are using AJAX for its admin interface , you guys can make the template enging lots better for newbies or non-programmer , you can make the Vivvo template have two options for displaying :

First : a simple Drag & Drop interface for changing boxes locations , size and colors .
Second : The current css/html based interface for code changing .

Another thing is the way it switches back to the CSS tab and resets everything after every save; quite a pain. It would be very nice to end up in the same template, or at least the same tab after saving.

10000 % agree with you :D

Also , if you made VTE open in a new browser window , stand alone with full screen size of that window that way we have :
1 - A better view and larger code area
2 - Fast loading and editing .
3 - Feeling like using Notepad :D

I also would like to suggest that you create a ( Preview ) button to peview the current code before make it online for the visitors .

Its not a bad idea to let vivvo as a plugin , u know .. it could save the webmasters or template editors from some newbies playing around there mag :D

Thats it for now :) , have a nice day .

cooljason
07-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I never use the admin system to make changes. I hardly use any of the admin system other than to do maintenance and make changes to categories. I add everything using SQL and cpanel to make changes in notepad.

Vivvo backend is weak in many places and is extremely slow on a high traffic site with over 25,000 articles. This system is great if you know what you are doing and I don't claim to know everything just what I must to get by. I do everything manually to avoid any errors. Because you don't wanna wait days for help on your problems which you certainly will here.

However, Vivvo has turned out to be great when you can make changes on your own.

Indrit
11-12-2008, 06:49 PM
.............So, do you use built-in Template editor to manage your .tpl and .css files, or you edit them via preferred offline program/editor, such as Dreamweaver, FrontPage, HomeSite, Notepad++, Quanta or similar. ........

I am sorry for my question but It seems to be I don't actually understand what do you mean by Built-in Template editor.

I have installed the latest version of vivvo 4.1 and I don't see any think like this. Can you please demonstrate where is it located. If tyou mean by built in template editor the BOX that pops-up with the code than I dont think that is a nice way of calling it. A template editor should include not only the code page but also the preview page. Dont you think THAT will easy our job a lot?

So far I am trying to copy the code and paste into dream waver.

Rgds,
Indrit