PDA

View Full Version : A new WYSIWYG editor

IrishGuinea
03-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks to the great support of SpoonLabs they have found these issues to be related to a modified file. This was modified before I took over the website so I had no idea about a file being changed. I have since replaced those files with original up to date ones and now the colored background and video embedding is working fine. Again, a big thanks to SpoonLabs and the forum peeps who responded to this thread.

The fact that you don't even support the editor is reason enough to change it. The editor is an intregal part of your system. It's where people spend the most time. It should be the most functional piece you have.

but...

You can't embed video with it.

You can't embed form code with it.

You can't browse and upload photos you want in an article, you have to ftp them. But you can upload abstract photos(because its Vivvo)

The bullet points/list function does not work/show up, atleast in IE7

The colored text background doesn't work, atleast in IE7, instead of changing the background color it changes the font and size.

Atleast I can bold copy :)

The fact you would put such a unuseful, unsupported piece of 3rd party software in your great CMS system is a shame. I really hope you create your own or find a better one in the future.

Vivvo is great, but don't lose track of the fact that your a CMS system and without functionality to create dynamic, interactive and visually appealing articles, well then, your just like everyone else.

I can do more with this form thread than I can with my articles.

Not a bash on Vivvo, just an opinion to help make Vivvo better.

kovacs
04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
This criticism is a bit strange. TinMCE is a well documented and supported editor. I can't speak on behalf of Spoonlabs, but I have used TinyMCE on lots of projects, and many professional CMS tools use it. It is almost an industry standard.

You can most definitely use Flash and images in it - integrate the MCImageManager from Moxiecode (the makers of TinyMCE). You can have unlimited images in articles.

More info here: http://www.moxiecode.se/products_imagemanager.php

It is a commercial plugin, which is probably why Spoonlabs has not integrated it, but yo can buy it for a small sum and it takes about 10 minutes to set up. Then you have a well-featured, Ajax-based image manager for Vivvo.

I find TinyMCE to be immensely useful. You can alter the style sheet to be used in articles, so that you can have comment boxes, sidebars, headlines...all this is configurable.

My only gripe with it is that I have been unable to integrate the Paste module to clean formatted text - my strategy is instead to paste text into the abstract field, then cut-and-paste it into the body. That removes all formatting.

boccio
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
@IrishGuinea: I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one...
The fact that you don't even support the editor is reason enough to change it. The editor is an intregal part of your system. It's where people spend the most time. It should be the most functional piece you have.

We do not support bugs in TinyMCE, because those guys do pretty good job themselves, they don't need us fixing their bugs :) We make sure that we use up-to-date version in Vivvo, and it really works. I don't see any complaints on Bug Reports (http://www.vivvo.net/forums/project.php?projectid=2) forum for wysiwyg editor...

The fact you would put such a unuseful, unsupported piece of 3rd party software in your great CMS system is a shame. I really hope you create your own or find a better one in the future.

Frankly, you're the first person I hear referring to TinyMCE as "unuseful, unsupported, shameful"... We chose this piece of software very carefully, and believe it fits in Vivvo really well.

TinyMCE is, IMO, a great choice of wysiwyg editor and I believe we won't trade it for some other in the near future. Also, I believe developing our own editor isn't a great option as well. We chose the path to use an established, well-supported, bug-free piece of software with constant cycle of development and improvements.

One thing I agree with you 100% is when you mention browsing and uploading photos. And that is why we're coming up with our own Document/Asset Manager that will be tightly integrated in the system and allow full file manipulation.

IrishGuinea
04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't know guys, I just find it frustrating. Didn't mean to rant on it but I was working on an article and wanted certain paragraphs with colored backgrounds and had some list items I wanted bulleted and none of it worked.

I mean the colored bg just changed my font size and the bullet points didn't do anything. To me thats buggy...

I haven't been able to use any kind of code in it other than basic html so I don't know how you get flash to emded in the articles. If you could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe if I had more time to learn and work with vte, php, etc I would find it easier, not with just the editor but Vivvo in general.

Theres not enough hours in the day...

I'll check out the image manager, thanks for the link. Due to my limited skills though I'll probably just wait for the Vivvo edition :)

kovacs
04-03-2008, 08:19 AM
If you want to criticize something it does help to read the manual, and to try the features first.

Right next to the "image" icon in the editor, there is a small "movie" button.It lets you add embedded media right there.

If you don't have the MCImageManager you need to upload the flash file via ftp OR link to something already on the web - but otherwise you an upload the flash movie (or other media types) and it is automatically embedded for you.

As for the colored backgrounds etc, it works fine for me so it's more likely a browser issue. Do you have the problem right in the editor or after you publish a story (ie do the colors show in the editor but not in the story)?

IrishGuinea
04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I know about the media button :) maybe I should have been more clear, you can't embed outside sourced video, All the networks put out promo clips, etc and give you the embedding code to use, like youtube. Thats what doesn't work.

As for the bg's and bullets, they all look fine in the editor, it's after the article is published that they get screwy. Then when I go back into the editor the bullet points are still there but the colored bg is gone and my font (only in the bg paragraph) has changed from size 2 to 3

See if you can see them here - http://www.rbr.com/media-news/intel_briefs/6693.html

I've viewed it in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox, all up to date, with the same results.

theodore
04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I have no problem to embed clip (for ex. from you tube embedding code) to my articles:

take a look : http://www.madata.gr/index.php?news=14272

or this: http://www.madata.gr/index.php?news=15978

IrishGuinea
04-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Your getting that to work through the editor?

or is it a plugin?
http://www.vivvo.net/resources/downloads/Plug-ins/video_box.html

I like the corner flap ad, I was looking into that myself.

kovacs
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
You should be able to use embed code by clicking the HTML button and adding the code where you want it.

theodore
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Your getting that to work through the editor?

Is not the plug-in. (if you see the url is just an article) I made it through the editor: you can embed it as 'html' and then you can resize, move it , align it e.t.c.

I like the corner flap ad, I was looking into that myself.

The script that i use is pagePeelADs at http://pagepeelscript.borzack.com/

It also supports also multi ADs

IrishGuinea
04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow, I don't know what going on then because that doesn't work for me either...

See if you can see them here - http://www.rbr.com/media-news/intel_briefs/6693.html

Can you see the video, bullet points and colored bg?

There's just a big blank space where the video should be. After I click insert in the html window in the editor I have a big blank box I can select it but can't see it in the editor as well.

Maybe my editor isn't updated? I'm at a loss...:(

Alex
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Maybe my editor isn't updated? I'm at a loss...:(
I don't think so... You're running 4.0.x. I think your editor version is just fine.

kovacs
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I am able to reproduce your test page without problems:

http://hypography.com/blogs/35491.html

IrishGuinea
04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Well like I said I am at a loss because everyone else seems to have a working editor but me, lol.

I will open a ticket and hope we can get this figured out.

Thanks for the help/feedback.

kovacs
04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I hope you get it solved. The editor is really top-notch!

jasmina
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
We answered to this via Help Desk and the problem seems to be related to /admin/js/tinyMCE_config.php file that is modified.

IrishGuinea
04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
We answered to this via Help Desk and the problem seems to be related to /admin/js/tinyMCE_config.php file that is modified.

Thanks, I have posted an update message in my original post so new peeps don't get the wrong impression of the editor. Thanks again...