PDA

View Full Version : Customizable category fields

elderban
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I would like to suggest that the user be able to ad customizable fields to categories that would then appear in the article entry area when the user adds a new article to that category.

For example, if I have a category for reviews, I'd like to add a box that shows the overall score on the article page, but I don't want to have to create the box every time I create the article.

What I could do is create a field for "Score", then create a template that would put that "Score" in a box on the article page.

northlandadv
02-13-2008, 04:10 AM
http://www.vivvo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1580&highlight=custom+field

elderban
02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I saw that, but...

1. It affects all categories and all articles, not just specific categories or articles.

2. It requires me to manually add fields to my database which can potentially affect future updates of the software or which may not even be recognized by said future updates which will require me to do more editing and potentially messing up my database/site.

Furthermore, these custom fields could be used for more than basic data entry. For example, I could create a custom field that would allow me to add flash videos to my stories by copy/pasting the embedded video information into that field and then creating a template to insert that code.