PDA

View Full Version : How to show sub-category articles under main category?

bandana
12-26-2007, 01:17 PM
How can I get articles that I file in sub-categories to show up under the main "News" category on the main page?

My site has about five sub-categories under the main "News" category. Whenever I file an article, I always put it into one of the sub-categories rather than the main "News" category.

On the main page, however, only the links to the five sub-categories appear under the "News" category. No stories I file in sub-categories are shown.

Micha
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure I understand you. :confused:

Can you be more specific on what are you trying to accomplish?
Or maybe you could post a screenshot.

bandana
01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Let me illustrate my problem with an example/screenshot.

As you can see, I have a main category called "Fixed Deposit Rates". In this category are several sub categories such as "One-Month", "Three-Month", "Six-Month" etc.

All my stories are filed into one of these sub-categories and NOT into the main "Fixed Deposit Rates" category.

But the articles I file in the sub categories do not appear as a list of articles on the home page, such as in the screen shot.

How can I make articles filed in sub-categories to show up as a list on the home page?

http://www.lankarates.com/vivvocategoryissue.gif

Micha
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Go to your Vivvo administration >> Preferences >> Categories >> Page elements tab and from "Article List - More news" option choose categories(subcategories) and number of articles you want to display on home page.

bandana
01-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Micha,

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't resolve the problem.

When I follow your instructions, a sub-category (such as "One-Month") appears on the front page as a separate section, with the articles in it being listed under it.

What I want is for ONLY the main category (Fixed Deposits) to appear on the front page, with the stories I file in sub-categories appearing below the main category.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Micha
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment.

We are working on it, and it should be possible to do this in our upcoming release 4.0.3.

Success
01-28-2008, 04:34 PM
bandana, I also think this is very important.

I want all articles in the sub categories of a category to appear, under that main category, in 1 box, on the main page.

Especially when we are going to use categories and many sub-categories to file our articles.

Nic-
02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, i think this is very important too.
many user request this option.
Hope it will in 4.0.3.

dave25
02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
I also vote for that.

Rngr223
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
same here............

elderban
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I have a similar issue, but want them to appear when I click on the root category. For example, if I have the following:

Root News Category
- Sub News Category 1
- Sub News Category 2
- Sub News Category 3

And click on the root category, none of the stories from the sub-category show up under the root category.

Will this be fixed in 4.03 as well?

AceValenta
02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, i think this is very important too.
many user request this option.
Hope it will in 4.0.3.

I vote for this too. It makes the site look more professional.

Micha
03-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Have you read this?

http://www.vivvo.net/forums/showpost.php?p=10285&postcount=6

ChefTalk
02-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Oh man I vote for this to. I think it is a pretty standard approach for website owners to create top level categories such as:

News
Cookbook Reviews
-Chef Authored
-Vegetarian books
-Italian Cooking
Cooking Articles
-Vegetables
-Seafood

Etc.

Actually this is common in forum structures as well. Hope you guys add this in the next release.

ChefTalk
02-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Ok here is how I got around this situation. I move my current cooking articles under my main category "cooking articles", my current recipes under "Recipes" then once they are no longer featured I move them into their specific categories.

Not a good long term solution especially if you have a lot of content contributed regularly.

andor
05-15-2009, 06:15 AM
howdy, I had a solution - create a tag for your categories, and then manually add a link in the template that calls up that tag. This, to be more specific, solves my problem - I have a category that holds no articles of its own, but holds further categories which break up the site content into topics. While you can get at the sub-categories via the DHTML navigation, there's so many of them I'd like to make them not visible, and just use links on the category page.

But yes, I agree, we need better control of this. The home page does a great job of supporting feeds from sub-categories, but sub-categories should support feeds from sub-sub-categories as well, and so forth. Probably a mine-field to code.

Perhaps, as I'm suggesting, a single master-tag could be added as a separate function, perhaps automatically generated from the category name? Then, admins could more easily group and relate these master tags than having to go through the whole nested category architecture?

andor
05-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Sorry, that was a bit silly = don't have to use tags, just plain hyperlink for sub-cat address