PDA

View Full Version : PHP Path Info instead of mod_rewrite

DRIVE
12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I'd like to see Vivvo get away from using mod_rewrite and use the in-built PHP functionality to do SEO/url-rewriting. People claim that mod_rewrite (a module specific to Apache/*) is "available on most hosting systems". But it is not. I host some domains on a system that has around 80,000 unique domain names, mod_rewrite is not enabled due to security reasons and it is not going to be enabled any time soon.

It seems that using PHP, a core language of Vivvo CMS, would be a good fit to also use PHP Path Info at least as an option for users who dont have mod_rewrite. I'm using several programs that use PHP Path Info and the URLs work great, and dont require a module that a user may or may not have.

You can have a look at Gallery v2.0 and see how they do it. When you run the setup file it checks for mod_rewite. It also enables PHP Path Info and there is a section in the control panel where an advanced user can add or tweak the default rules set up for php path info. I think this would be a great addition to the NUMEROUS GREAT things Vivvo already can do :D

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Thanks! :)