PDA

View Full Version : recent articles and more news

dave25
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
On home page, after the "Headline q top story" there are "Recent articles".
On bottom you'l find section of "More News".
On Ver. 3.5 "Recent Articles" and "More news" shows the same articles - its not like when you have an article presented in "Headline" then you wont see it repeat in "Recent news".

Is it the same or better in Ver.4 ?

boccio
10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Good question. In v4 we introduced a new option for displaying articles, which addresses this issue. This option, if set, allows an article to be printed only once on the page. So, if you have an article in Headline stories it won't display anywhere else on the page (in "latest news", or category headers, or anywhere else).

chaichai21
10-05-2007, 03:51 AM
cool, man i was so worried about this, excellent on there. this is really going to be big help. thanks

dave25
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Very good indeed, this is on of the things that turns cms into a real publishing system.
Just where is that option ? didnt find it in V.4 RC1

boccio
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
This is a very complexed feature, and there is no simple "option" to turn this on and off sitewide. It is controlled directly within individual templates. I'll try to explain a little bit more before official documentation comes out.

Vivvo 4.0 has internal flagging system for articles, making them "dirty" or "flagged" when they are displayed on the page. In some boxes (like headlines, latest articles, etc.) you might want to take advantage of this, and do not duplicate articles. But in other, like "most commented" or "most emailed" you obviously do not. I hope I'm being clear so far :)

Now, every individual template handles this using two basic parameters: one for "flagging" articles as dirty if used, and other for instructing box not to use "dirty" articles.

Here is an example, look at /templates/xhtml/box/rotating_headline.tpl around line 10:

<vte:param name="add_to_printed" value="true" />
<vte:param name="exclude_printed" value="true" />
What does this mean? Headline rotation box will not use articles already flagged as "printed" (param name="exclude_printed"), and the articles that get displayed inside it will get flagged as "printed" so no other template (like latest news, more news, etc.) gets to use them (param name="add_to_printed").

As you can see, this goes pretty deep, and allows very advanced control over content on your site.

Tobes
11-19-2007, 06:20 AM
is this feature possible in 3.5, i dont have the heart to upgrade, i have worked so much already on 3.5.

thanks

Micha
11-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Unfortunately this is not possible in 3.5.
This option is part of VTE that Vivvo 4 is based on.