PDA

View Full Version : Better Category management

Capper
09-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Along the lines of static pages.....

Right now you have to make a category and add a static page that way, same with external links (Forums, static pages, etc).....the problem here is that those show up in the RSS Feeds as well.

Also, there is a problem wiith how categories are managed.....you cannot move a category or sub-category once its built......you should be able to move them and their contents to other categories.

I also dislike this system because I have a category (reviews), that has no real articles in it, but several sub categories that the articles are broken down into, what happens is reviews has a section that says it has no articles in it, which is true enopugh, but its only a link to the actual article sections (sorry if thats hard to follow).

I think that the category management structure needs to be completely revamped, with the ability to move categories to other sections, or the ability to create a menu that isn't based on the categories, but allows the categories to be part of it.

Hershey
09-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Along the lines of static pages.....

Right now you have to make a category and add a static page that way, same with external links (Forums, static pages, etc).....the problem here is that those show up in the RSS Feeds as well.
are you talking about vivvo 4? B/c you don't have to create a category to make a static page or an external link, a great improvement over 3.5 which actually required it.

Also, there is a problem wiith how categories are managed.....you cannot move a category or sub-category once its built......you should be able to move them and their contents to other categories.
again, no there isn't. Just click and drag it on the left side. Ajax makes the job simple. You can take a cateogry and drag it to a subcategory position and vice versa.

I also dislike this system because I have a category (reviews), that has no real articles in it, but several sub categories that the articles are broken down into, what happens is reviews has a section that says it has no articles in it, which is true enopugh, but its only a link to the actual article sections (sorry if thats hard to follow).
its not hard to follow but have you tried this on vivvo 4? you might need to create a custom list using the article list generator. not sure.

I think that the category management structure needs to be completely revamped, with the ability to move categories to other sections, or the ability to create a menu that isn't based on the categories, but allows the categories to be part of it.
well as I said earlier....it is possible to move categories...so since u said "or" instead of "and" ...I think you would be satisfied.

Capper
09-24-2007, 04:33 AM
Did I say I was using v4.0?
not all of us have had access to the beta, and as such using v3.5, these are issues i think should be addressed moving forward.

Hershey
09-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Did I say I was using v4.0?
No; why do you think I asked you this?
are you talking about vivvo 4?

You do realize that you're in a Vivvo 4 forum right?

not all of us have had access to the beta, and as such using v3.5, these are issues i think should be addressed moving forward.

If you never had access to it and as such have no idea of vivvo 4's potential, then I think it's silly that you are complaining when you could be asking if these issues you are raising have in fact been addressed in Vivvo 4.

If you have a license and are interested in knowing the potential of vivvo 4, an access to one is simply an opt-in away. PM boccio.

boccio
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
3.5 Branch is closed for improvements and new feature suggestions. From now on, only troubleshooting and bug fixes will be addressed.

Capper
09-24-2007, 08:46 PM
No; why do you think I asked you this?

You do realize that you're in a Vivvo 4 forum right?

If you never had access to it and as such have no idea of vivvo 4's potential, then I think it's silly that you are complaining when you could be asking if these issues you are raising have in fact been addressed in Vivvo 4.

If you have a license and are interested in knowing the potential of vivvo 4, an access to one is simply an opt-in away. PM boccio.

Isn't this a forum for making suggestions FOR V4.0? How much sense would it make to bring this up in the Vivvo 3.5 forum? Theres nothing listed that says you have to be using the beta (some of us don't have the time or resources, some of us actually have sites to run) to make a suggestion.

Besides, if you are using the latest PUBLIC release, you SHOULD be making suggestions, or bringing things to the staff attention to make improvements going forward.

For you folks using 4.0, make suggestions, but also keep in mind that some of us are using the public version, 3.5.

Also I'm not complaining, I'm bringing up points I think should be addressed moving forward.....a suggestion, like the forum title suggests. I really despise people like you, who shouldn't being posting replies to begin with, copping an attitude. If the staff has an issue, let them deal with it, don't promote yourself to forum nazi.

Mark
09-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Please remember to observe the rules of civil discussion on this forum. This forum is aimed at perfecting Vivvo CMS and helping the community make the most of their Vivvo experience.

Thanks for your understanding.

Hershey
09-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Isn't this a forum for making suggestions FOR V4.0? How much sense would it make to bring this up in the Vivvo 3.5 forum? Theres nothing listed that says you have to be using the beta (some of us don't have the time or resources, some of us actually have sites to run) to make a suggestion.
Correct; but new suggestions. I think it would be more appropriate to Ask what features are available currently and if some of shortcomings of 3.5 have infact been addressed. Perhaps you didn't intend it but you did post your message in a disappointed tone as if v4 didn't address those.

Besides, if you are using the latest PUBLIC release, you SHOULD be making suggestions, or bringing things to the staff attention to make improvements going forward.
I never discouraged suggestions. I make suggestions myself, but I also make it my job to be informed about what has already been addressed. Don't you think it would be silly to ask for features that are already there.

For you folks using 4.0, make suggestions, but also keep in mind that some of us are using the public version, 3.5.
I'm sorry but I think its more responsible to make suggestions about vivvo 4, based on the already available vivvo 4 than based on 3.5. Remember the beta.myvivvo.com one is open for people to test out.

I think if this was in the early stages of vivvo 4 when it was still in the drawing board and new features were being accepted, it would be a different story.

Also I'm not complaining, I'm bringing up points I think should be addressed moving forward.....a suggestion, like the forum title suggests. I really despise people like you, who shouldn't being posting replies to begin with, copping an attitude. If the staff has an issue, let them deal with it, don't promote yourself to forum nazi.

My apologies if I misunderstood, but in any dialogue through a medium that only allows exppression in one dimention, it is left to the reader to add in the rest. Only 7% of communication is conveyed through words, the other 93% is tonality and nonverbal gestures.

Your insults were explicitly stated though, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll let the "staff" respond to you instead.

boccio
09-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Really, there is no need for such words here. The suggestions mentioned in the first post are already implemented in 4.0 version, therefore I believe we have nothing else to say on this thread...