PDA

View Full Version : A Cacheing module to withstand high traffic is needed

Toptek
08-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Without some type of caching device, whether is caching to disk, memcached or whatever, Vivvo will never be a professional solution. If you have any serious traffic, or if you happen to be digged or slashdotted, your database won't be able to keep up with dynamic page regeneration and your site will crash.

A built-in cacheing module to deliver pages in near-static speed is an absolute necessity.

Check out WP-Cache plugin (http://mnm.uib.es/gallir/wp-cache-2/) for "inspiration", it shouldn't take much to adapt it for Vivvo.

If no Vivvo clients have run into performance issues, it means no Vivvo sites have any significant traffic.

pcoskat
08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Planned for 4.0, per Boccio:

2.Page Caching
·Blocks of outputs are now being cached for servers with high load to achieve optimum speed and performance. Now it is possible to run up to 500.000 articles!

chatfan
09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
"If no Vivvo clients have run into performance issues, it means no Vivvo sites have any significant traffic."

Indeed, almost got kicked of by my server host for crashing the server when my site was promoted on a radio station. Vivvo 3.5 needs a health risk warning, my site is impossible. I would need at least two dedicated servers to keep it up and running with the current amount of traffic. Turning as many pages as possible into html... so much for using a cms i guess.

boccio
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
In 4.0 you're able to set interval for cache time period, so if you put it to one hour or even more, you'll basically have a static site :)

pcoskat
09-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Indeed, almost got kicked of by my server host for crashing the server when my site was promoted on a radio station. Vivvo 3.5 needs a health risk warning, my site is impossible. I would need at least two dedicated servers to keep it up and running with the current amount of traffic. Turning as many pages as possible into html... so much for using a cms i guess.

If you're on a 'shared' server, it doesn't really take much traffic to get 'kicked' off'.

If you plan regular off line promotions, you should consider a dedicated solution now (even a VPS won't work). Not because of Vivvo, but because shared situations aren't designed to accomodate one, or more sites, pulling that many resources.

My vivvo is on a dedicated server, with several other sites, including a 'very' active vBulletin, with no problems (and vBulletin is a resource hog - FOR SURE.)

In a managed dedicated environment, your host can custom configure and optimize your server for your cms needs.

apocan
09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I was also kicked out of my server and now I m going to try a VPS. I hope it will be a solution but as I said before not so many users can visit the site at the same time